Saturday, April 23, 2016

Prince

Well, we lost another great. Prince-the prolific musician and entrepreneur- died unexpectedly at 57.

Here is why i am chiming in on his death:

He was an amazing, kind, caring and open person. 

He was an amazing musician. His recordings spanned decades and earned him a worldwide reputation.

He was a Jehovah's Witness. Which meant a strict lifesytle, that contradicted some of the themes of his music, but molded him into the disciplined machine that he was. 

I was introduced to Prince's music in 1984. The very first album i ever owned, still have, and am playing as i write this i Purple Rain. 

I received this for my birthday. I had to give away the poster, because my dad thought it was too mature for my ren years. I gave it to an older girl on the school bus. I also had a crush on her. 

We listened to Ourple Rain when my dad, brother and two step vrotgers went camping at Lake Otis. 
It was a cathartic experience, because Prince used the word 'masturbating' in one of the songs. 

The other cathartic experience was that my dad made us chili one fine camping night, and my then nine year old bowels did NOT agree with the spicy, protein enriched fusion. 

I cleared a tent full of family, and basically had to change through three pairs of underwear. 

Anyway, Prince was really awesome, stuck to his guns and rocked the hell out. 

Hearing the 'sermon' at the beginning of 'When Doves Cry' sent a shiver down my spine. 



 
 


No comments: